SNRC’s Fall Competitive Rowing Programs are Starting!
We have an exciting fall season ahead which will feature four head races. For those new to the fall racing season, “head” races run on longer race courses – typically 5k and are a race against the clock where crews start the race about 20 seconds apart. The races occur on rivers (and canals) and typically have obstacles such as bridges or bends which can make for some exciting moments along the way.
Key dates to remember:
- August 26 – Fall Competitive Registration Day & Barbecue 11:30 am at club
- August 27 – official start to the program & membership fees due
- September 3 – uniform orders due (Regatta Sport)
- September 3rd to 8th – competitive rowing erg tests for fall
- Week of September 3 and weekly there after – time trails for all competitive members – details to be communicated by coaching staff
- Saturday September 8 – Tag Day (multiple locations in Welland, Pelham, Port Colborne)
- Saturday September 22 – Head of the Welland – North Course of WIFC
- October 1 – commitment to race Head of the Fish and Regatta Fees due
- Week of October 1 – selection completed + Head of the Charles and regatta fees due
- October 7 – Head of the Genesee – Rochester, NY
- October 20 – 21 – Head of the Charles – Boston, MA (select crews only; 10 male, 10 female athletes and 3 coxswains)
- October 27 – 28 – Head of the Fish – Saratoga, NY
- October 29 until late November (TBD) when docks are removed – optional on-water practices continue (weather permitting)
Head Coach: Don Leclair
Assistants: Bob Young, Spencer McDonald, Owen Nadeau
Monday – Friday 3:30 PM (men and women)
Saturday: 7:00 AM (men and women)
Additional weekday morning practices will be available
(as communicated by coaches).
Fall rowing will cost $429 (plus RCA membership if not already paid in 2018) and will include entry fees and regatta costs for the Head of the Welland and Head of the Genesee. There will be additional travel costs for athletes competing at the Head of the Charles and Head of the Fish regattas. Details will be provided once travel arrangements have been secured.
Given racing is mostly in the US for the fall season – all athletes must have appropriate travel documentation (passport, Nexus, enhanced drivers license) that can be used for travel to the US. All athletes must also have valid travel medical insurance.
For the Head of the Welland, Head of the Genesee and Head of the Fish the goal is for all athletes to race twice. Some athletes may have an additional race to ensure all athletes race twice. Head of the Charles crews will be chosen by the program coaches, and the selection process will be communicated with program members.
The South Niagara unisuit is the racing uniform for the fall and will be available from Regatta Sport. Towards the end of the fall expect cooler weather. Black tights should be purchased separately to wear under the SNRC unisuit during colder weather racing. Alternatively, SNRC has a long sleeve racing shirt available through Regatta Sport which may be worn provided all crew members dress the same.
If you have any questions please reach out!
Kevin Keith firstname.lastname@example.org
Helen Taylor email@example.com
Mike Siolkowsky firstname.lastname@example.org
SNRC Registrar email@example.com